Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A Good Year

As always at this time of year we reflect on things we cannot change and look forward to a fresh start. This past year has seen a lot of adventures, some good, some bad but always we come out the other side intact and prepared for more.

The year started, of course, with the litter of twelve just a week old and thriving. By this time Halo was done like dinner and we were at a stand off over her nursing them. Only one more time Halo ... I promise.

They grew up like weeds in a fertilized pasture and 12 wonderful homes were beginning a new adventure in Ridgebacks. I met some really great people and made wonderful friends.

During the time the puppies were being raised Raimi, at just under a year, started his Champion point count and won a Hound Puppy Group. He loved being shown and was a ridiculous goofball just about everytime he went in the ring, but still, each time he improved and I could tell the pattern started to click with him.

March brought Halo's first litter's first birthday on the 14th, also the day little Weasley was born - little did I know this mischievous kitten was to be mine. My faithful old minivan found a new home with my friend Tanja to replace her dangerously sad Rosie Van. My van had little monetary value but I knew it was reliable and would see her through at least the next year. My replacement vehicle was a shiny not-new Ford Explorer which I love to pieces. March also brought a new cat, Mallaig, from the Happy Cat Sanctuary in Strathmore who settled in like she's lived with dogs her whole life.

In April Petal took her leave at 12 and a half years old. She came with us to the Red Deer show and was cheerful as always, happy to be out and included, even if she was a little slower than usual. Four short days later she made it clear it was time for the body to rest, so we said good-bye for now ... wait for me at The Bridge my darling Precious.

Raimi continued to mature into the spring and finished his championship in Medicine Hat with a third in the hound group. It was a great way to end his introduction to the show scene and he enjoys being my 'pet' until he's properly grown and mature enough to handle a show campaign schedule. Weasley came to us in May also, a darling bundle of kitten joy who snuggled and cuddled with a dog 96 pounds heavier than he.

June took us down to Montana for the show circuit there. Six days in the motorhome with my mom, her Pulis and one very large Boy. He did not understand the show routine and was off his food (until I hand fed him) but rallied well and brought home a major. He placed in his classes everyday and was getting the hang of the routine by the time it was over. The same circuit saw Geddie take home two majors and Zero's very first show, at exactly 6 months old, saw him win a Reserve to a major. A great circuit for Invictus. Halo stayed with Tanja and we decided she would stay there over the summer to see how it worked out.

July saw my 4th 29th birthday and I wanted to thank everyone again for a totally marvelous time! July also saw the very first show for the Christmas Eve litter. In three days we took all three puppy breeds, Rifka won two of them, Karma the other, started her point count and placed 3rd in a very large sweeps class. Rory did very well despite his sisters taking all the glory!

The end of July and into August had us at the ever popular Alberta Kennel Club show. I judged my very first Sweepstakes for the Alberta Sporting Hound Specialty and was vindicated in my decisions by a well-respected judge who chose my winners again almost to the letter. The balance of the show weekend was a little soured by some unsportsmanlike behaviour but in all it was a good time with friends and the weather cooperated. Oh, except the part where Raimi was running loose on the show grounds looking for me and when I went to collect him I missed taking Rory in for Reserve.

August introduced the never sought feeling of dread when you get a phone call about a car accident. Halo ended up with a bruised muzzle, some scrapes and probably a sore body for a couple days but recovered very well. Tanja and family were fine but we did bid a final adieu to the faithful minivan of lore.

In all the summer weather was weird, it never seemed to resolve into true summer and that took us into the fall with and odd feeling of no summer at all. Early in September saw Leeloo born into a litter of twelve and I had high hopes for a light wheaton white footed baby girl. Myself, my mom, Raimi and two Pulis headed to Montana again for a couple days but Raimi did not seem to feel well and thus did not show well. We did finish one of my mom's dogs and for that the trip was a success.

October brought a much anticipated trip to Nova Scotia and a nice vacation. The fall colors, which everyone talks about, were more spectacular than you can imagine. The hospitality and sane mentality was beyond anything I have ever experienced in Alberta and I strongly suggest everyone go there! It was much much too short a time to spend and I look forward to returning this year. Raimi stayed with Tanja and when I picked him up I'm pretty sure Halo was pushing him out the door!

November brought us to the Halo/Leeloo exchange and even though Raimi welcomed this little annoying bundle he was not really sure he was okay with her staying on a permanent basis. Halo, of course, settled into her life with Erin admirably and the wait began for her to come into heat. Our November weather was unseasonably kind this year and apparently it was just a fake out for what was coming.

December of course brings Christmas, stress, irritation, annoyance, tension, and aggravation ... but all these things exist in Calgary independent of Christmas so make of that what you will. The weather has been truly deplorable and everyone has had just about enough of the -20 temperatures. Raimi has fallen for Leeloo like every other creature in existence and we have established a peace in the house that no longer involves Raimi's sad eyes whenever I pet or talk to Leeloo. Halo is stubbornly refusing to come into heat but I am hopeful January will see a burst of moody, sullen, contrite, penitent behaviour which marks her heats and scars everyone's psyche.

In all it was a good year and I look back with few regrets. I set out a plan at the beginning of 2008 and by gum every single thing I set out to do has been done. I strongly believe a plan is paramount but must be flexible enough to accommodate the things in life you do not plan ... like an additional cat in the spring, a new puppy in the fall and the loss of a Precious friend.

Have fun tonight, forget making resolutions, meet the new year with a fresh face and my goodness ... what WILL you do with that extra second we gain in 2009?

No comments: