Saturday, December 20, 2008

The Guardian

Something came up that I thought I'd touch on in regard to dog ownership. For the last few years there is an increasing trend of changing the semantics of how we refer to dogs. 'Selling' puppies becomes 'adopting' puppies. Changing the word 'owner' to the word ' guardian'. What we call something also alters the way we think about it and how we perceive it in society. Think about political correctness and the ridiculous lengths to which it's been taken ... it's a dangerous trend.

My dogs are not my children. They are dogs. I am responsible for them and their well being. They are not my equals. They do not have the same rights that I have as a human. It is my job to ensure they are able to function in a foreign world of people and social structures that they could not navigate safely without my assistance.

I sell my puppies. I do not adopt them out, I am not an orphanage. I own them. I create them and therefor they are mine until I sell them. Sales come with contracts to ensure that the puppy's well being is taken under consideration for its lifetime. The people who buy my puppies do not give me an adoption fee; they pay me for the puppy, the time it took to raise it and everything leading up to getting that puppy safely to 8 weeks old.

I can't express it better than this article by Jon Katz. Please take the time to read it. Whether or not you agree with his opinion it is certainly food for thought.

No comments: