Monday, December 15, 2008

The Day After Tomorrow

Okay so it's freakin’ cold.

Add to that the fact that Leeloo got caught in my laptop and yanked out the internet cable(without carefully depressing the plastic stopper with her thumb so it broke and now can’t be plugged in) on Friday night thereby rendering me internet-less all weekend. She seems to have some sort of aversion to my laptop … hopefully she likes the new one which is on it’s way as I type.

Since it is -30 Celsius now and was all weekend I was figured I could live without the internet for a couple days and not bother to drive anywhere to get a new one.

It goes without saying how the dogs feel about the cold but they react different ways. Raimi’s body is okay but his feet get cold. He successfully stood on two legs in the middle of the yard with a forlorn look on his face. The look said “Come carry me to the door.” No chance. For a dog so worried about his cold feet you’d think he wouldn’t be picky about where to poop but no … the poop location decision is still a major one regardless of temperature. By the time he’s found the perfect place his feet are so cold he can’t think to poop. We tried his booties but he spends so much time worrying about the booties that he forgets to do anything except think about his booties. I’ll try them again today and see if he will learn to use them properly.

Remember how I said Leeloo was super smart? She has already figured out that the faster you poop and pee the faster you get to come back inside. She zips out the door, walks 3 feet, pees, walks another 2 feet, poops and then comes to stand by the door. Raimi hasn’t even chosen his spot to pee yet and she’s already emptied both holding tanks. Her body seems to get cold faster than her feet so she stands shivering and looking miserable while Raimi makes his decisions. If I open the door they both come in whether they've completed their assignment or not so I wait.

Fortunately where I work has an underground heated parking garage so if the weather hasn’t let up by this weekend I’ll bring them to the garage and let them run around. The office is closed on weekends so there won’t be any cars or traffic (it’s a secured garage) and they can blow off some steam. Of course I hope there is a break in the weather but the rest of the week unto forever looks pretty dismal.

5 comments:

Mrs. Deaver said...

Arwen, Boo and our foster, Bo, all seem to think snow is way too cold.

Our dog door goes out to a tiny covered patio which has a shed on the opposite side from our house and a 6 foot gate across between the shed and the house that lets us into our carport. Opposite the gate there are three stairs down to our backyard. I went out this afternoon to go to the store, and there were three different poops ON the little patio, two puddles of pee and a stream of pee down the side of the shed. It's like 28 degrees outside... not even that cold, but the doggies just can't stand to walk down three steps and go potty in the snow. *sigh*

Unknown said...

Shumba thinks snowless 40 degree weather is too cold, she is gonna be in shock this Christmas back home in Utah! Time to get her a sweater. Oh, and we are dealing with a case of puppy acne, lovely :)

Kathryn said...

Uh, okay, I'm sorry, but...BOOTIES??! You've got to be kidding. I just can't see Raimi deigning to wear those things.
I do though, totally get what you say about having to leave them both out until they're both done their "assignments", otherwise one will come in even though he's not finished.

Mrs. Deaver said...

Mmm, puppy acne. I'm hoping we can avoid that with Boo... it really grosses me out. :D

Traci said...

Just picked up Ramsay's booties and he thinks he is something! I have never seen a dog actually prancing around proud with boots! He is also in love with his new baby blue turtleneck coat, that's right..I said turtleneck! Deuce of course mocks him:)