Saturday, February 9, 2008

Fight Club

I finally managed to get some sleep. All I do is chase puppies and email. No time for much else. I slept for about 10 hours last night so I think I'm finally caught up. People who know me know two really important things. I love sleeping and I love TV. I have not had much of either lately for one reason and another so I'm suffering from withdrawal. Happy to hear the writer's strike is almost over and the puppies have one more week and are off to new and exciting things. Raimi will be SO happy except Zero who is supposed to go to Utah is staying a little longer as his new home had a parvo outbreak in it and he can't go til he's up to date on all his shots. No chances taken here. I think Raimi will actually like to have someone to play with besides his mom for a little while.





They are losing patience with each other. People always worry they will miss their siblings but consider spending 24 hours a day without any time alone. Once you are in your new home you have your own dish, bed, person, couch, walks and toys so you are not considering the siblings you left behind, all you have thought for is the new smells and things to do in the moment. You get so tired form all these new things you sleep like the dead and when you wake up there's more exciting things to explore. It only takes a few days for a puppy to forget the puppy pile and settle into a routine.


They are nattering at each other quite a bit - little snarky fights break out, there's growling during feeding time(which wouldn't occur if they didn't insist on tackling one dish at a time) and they pick on each other more than usual. It's almost time for them to go and they know it.







New things of course are a real boon to entertaining them. I put a broken box by the back door to take outside and they thought this was one of the most interesting toys ever. Babies of all species must be pre-programmed to want to play with the box ... not what' s inside.







They also got to play with the giant lion that I bought in October for Halloween - his face was partially removed by Raimi but they think he's just the best fun ever. They swarm him and climb on him and drag him around. It's a real gas. He was only $10 at Walmart so I think I'll go get another for the next litter.





This litter is so well behaved it's a complete 180 from the last. Despite their numbers they are incredibly easy going and not demanding my attention all the time. However, leaving them to their own devices even for 10 minutes can result in some spectacular messes. They smeared poop from one end of the hall to the other and to make it go further they combined it with pee. I had to wash the floor twice to make sure it was completely clean. This is my life.


Where has the time gone? It was just Christmas and now here we are 7 weeks later and they start heading to new homes in just a week. I felt a little twinge of sadness to see them go but I'm confident they are all going to really great homes and they will grow up happy and healthy and are making 12 families extremely happy.

No comments: