Monday, August 3, 2009

The Watcher in the Woods

Forget the trees. It may be a beautiful path through the woods but the flies are so persistent even with the new spray (the dogs had a constant cloud of flies about 8 inches above them which seemed to be looking for a way to penetrate the invisible barrier preventing them from landing.) The bugs bother me too - I get dive bombed by unrelenting deerflies - it's just intolerable. I think that path may be reserved for winter wonderland walks.


The other danger of walking the dogs in that area is the deer. I'm not sure if this is the same deer as before but seriously ... its got to get better timing. You might not be able to see it very well but fortunately I caught sight of it as it leaped across the road we were on. It was pretty far away but had stopped to watch us pass. Kept telling it to shoo ... do deer shoo? Eventually this one did and we avoided yet another deer/Halo encounter.
I was thinking that if Halo took off into the woods after a creature I'd just let her go if she didn't respond to a recall. Halo can take care of herself, she would eventually lose sight of the animal and then stop, use her brain and try to make her way back. I think I'd just wait where she last saw me and give her a chance to find me. Different story for Raimi, I'd probably go storming after him, trees or no trees, because Raimi would stop after he lost sight of the animal and immediately panic when he couldn't see or hear me. He'd go into Mommy overdrive and get more lost. I think Leeloo would follow the Halo line of thought and try to find her way back. Archer wouldn't get very far at all so I'm not too worried about losing him in the trees ... yet.

1 comment:

Steven and Kimberly said...

Yes, the deer would be in big trouble if the four of them took off after it.