Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Hot Under the Collar

Leeloo is now just about three weeks old and she and her siblings are growing like little weeds. Here they are at brunch with Momma Tailor, she looks like a much more patient mother than Momma Halo. I wonder how many times Tailor’s owner has said to her at 3am “Lie down and STAY there you *&^%$*#* bitch!” Ah … good times good times.

I also just bought Leeloo’s collars and a lead. I did debate about getting a plain red collar but Halo wears red and I don’t like the idea of ‘replacing’ one dog with another so I went with the banded collar. Seems to suit a Leeloo don’cha think? I also debated between a pink, purple or red lead but the pinks and purple were not a close enough match to any of the colors in the collar so it was the red that won out.


Here is Weasley contributing his oft sought opinion - looks pretty good against his coat color huh? I also held the collar against Raimi to make sure it matched. I have seen Ridgebacks with some hideous collar colors like neon orange, gag-me yellow, and a pukey green. Please consider a color that compliments the dog rather than your own favorite color when purchasing a collar. I mean, if your dog is white or black you have free reign … but dogs that are certain shades need collars that don’t clash with their coat.

Ridgebacks are well suited to nice reds, rusts, some pinks, deep greens, most blues, and obviously black. Leather collars are nice on any dog. You can get some pretty crazy patterns on collars these days but I find them a little garish sometimes – it’s hard to tell what the pattern is if it’s too wackadooey. I think the banded patern is simple yet elegant and since Leeloo is named after a colorful movie I figured she better have a colorful collar!

1 comment:

Mrs. Deaver said...

I just had to say that a nice deep purple also looks very good with a dark red/brown dog. Arwen looks simply smashing in her purple collar.