Saturday, August 2, 2008

The Lost World

I have two slumbering beasts on the couch - they are both gently snoring. What a big day for them both. Well, not really, it was a long hot day but neither did anything of note.

I didn't sleep well last night with Rory waking up every hour or two so he could follow or sniff one of the cats as they did whatever cats do at night. Up at 6:30am because I couldn't take the fussing anymore and off to the show for 9am. 9am? Why 9am when Ridgebacks aren't on til 1pm - well I was to help with Pulis and they are on at ... almost noon. Someone got their timing wrong and had us at the show about an hour and a half earlier than necessary. You'd think after almost 40 years of showing dogs my mom would have a good idea about timing.

So there we were nice and early and Rory was such a good boy. I knew that my baby boy and the two girls in junior puppy didn't have a hope before I completed my first circuit of the ring. The judge didn't offer Rory more than a passing glance even on the first go round. Some days judges just don't like what you've bred.

So Mary Keats of Australia show giving clubs who hire you will get no entry from me ... with no hard feelings. I don't think it's poor sportsmanship to decide not to enter under a judge when you know they don't like what you have; with today's rising entry fees and gas costs it's just economical. I have no idea what she was looking for(I gather it was more mature dogs since mine are slow to mature and look like a bunch of gangly cone headed martians) but it definitely wasn't Rory, Karma or Rifka.

Or perhaps I'm bitter because I'm really tired, have a headache, am sun-burned, a little hungry and I was at the show way earlier than required. Maybe a donut will fix my outlook on life. Donuts have a way of cheering me up.

Oh and big thanks to Jim and Barb Kruse and Jim's mom (sorry I forgot her name) and Mungo's Mom Daniela and kids for coming to watch us lose. Especially to Barb for the gorgeous bracelet meant for good luck but as it turns out would have come in more use yesterday according to yesterday's judge!!

No comments: