Sunday, April 27, 2008

Riding in Cars with Boys (and Dogs)

I used to have a blue Citation that cost me $800. It was semi-rusted two tone blue and had wicked cool hood pins due to the crumpling it took when I gently rear-ended someone on Glenmore Trail. I kept the back seats down flat to house a couple rubber maid containers which held photography paraphernalia. The front seats were low so it was hard for Petal to stick her head out the window – which she adored doing - so she’d often sit in the containers because they were right behind the driver and passenger seats. This was a good solution for everyone since Petal’s head out the window meant she was quiet and sitting still.

One glorious summer day Philip, Zoey, Petal and I were driving back from the park with Petal behind me on one container and Zoey behind Phil on the other. Petal liked sticking her head out the window so much that sometimes just her head was not enough. The window was open about 4 or 5 inches so she could fit her head out comfortably and she also liked to hook her elbow over the glass and feel the wind ruffle her hair and flip up her ears. I’m sure this paints a clear picture of the consequences.

Thankfully I had just turned a corner and was anticipating turning another so was not going very fast but the result is the same. I heard a noise and thought ‘What was that?” and Phil turned in the passenger seat and calmly said, “Petal is not in the car.” Words I will never forget to my dying day.

Sure enough I looked in my rear view mirror and there was Petal in the middle of the street looking totally bewildered. The car behind us – which was far enough back to avoid her – drove around her as she limped her way to the side walk. I of course slammed on the brakes, leaped out and ran to her. She was limping a bit and covered in road dirt & gravel and smelled strongly of car grease. I carried her back to the car and drove around the corner to Phil’s house where it was discovered that she was perfectly fine, the lameness disappeared in a few minutes and in all she was just a little dirty. We were lucky.

After that of course I made sure the window was only open a teeny crack so she could stick her nose out because Petal did not learn from her experience – she still insisted on leaning out the window given the chance. Her little nose twiched and her ears flew up in the wind and her eyes squinted up … I’m sure there are cars at The Bridge to take dogs for a drive round the countryside. She would definitely go everyday. I actually have a picture of her and Zoe with their heads out a window but I need to scan it.

I knew I couldn’t tell this story to my parents while Petal was alive because I’d never hear the end of it … I think that’s probably still the case tho. Next time I’ll tell the tale of when Halo jumped out of a moving vehicle.

1 comment:

Steven and Kimberly said...

I would have needed a heart transplant because mine would have stopped.