Friday, April 4, 2008

Food for Thought

It warms the cockles of my heart to watch Raimi try to use his brain. His Thinking Wrinkles practically smoke with the effort but often the conclusion is beyond him. Once critical mass is reached he turns his big browns on me and I offer my assistance however it be needed.

Recently it was the re-arrangement of their beds in my room. They used to be located where I got out of bed so every morning I had to carefully navigate my way to the door. Because Petal is Very Small she stays on the bed til everyone has left the room, Zero is Small so he winds in and out of red legs, Halo is Medium and intelligent so she negotiates any and all comers and well, Raimi is Very Big so it’s usually he just stands there like a boulder and the tide washes over him. This leaves me to try and not get my toes stepped on, my shins smacked, fall over, trip or walk into a wall(my curtains are quite heavy so it’s very dark).

I decided I was sick of this nonsense so I moved the beds to the far corner and thus we have the dogs safely out of the way. Well, the first night this change occurred Raimi was at a complete loss. The way I’d arranged things meant his familiar couch bed was covered with a pillow bed and he ‘couldn’t find’ his spot. So I took the pillow bed off it and immediately Zero said ‘Oh why thank you” and made himself cozy in Raimi’s bed.

Well, if I thought the Thinking Wrinkles warmed my cockles; they have nothing on the Worry Wrinkles that tickled my heart strings. He kept looking at me, his bed(in which Zero stomped around making comfy), my bed, where his bed used to be, me again, my bed again … it was darling. So I tried to get Zero to move but he knows a good thing when he has it. So I shifted the puppy and put Raimi’s bed back to the original location and told him we’d give it another go when I wasn’t so tired. He was then concerned because now he was waaaaaay on the other side of the bed from Zero and Halo and was sleeping ‘alone.’ Zero settled happily on the pillow beds next to Halo.

We now seem to have a non-challenging solution for Raimi. I separated the beds from each other – nice big bed for Halo and Zero, Raimi on his own but right next to them. This was okay because he recognized the bed, it is far enough away to stop Zero from stealing it but close enough that he felt he was not ostracized from the other dogs. One Zero is gone I’ll put them together and Raimi and Halo can share pillows and space but for now since Zero is such a primadonna I’ll keep it as is.

Certainly this is not the end of the Thinking Wrinkles – they don’t come out very often but heart cockles beware when they do. Halo does not have Thinking Wrinkles – she has Food? Wrinkles – when it comes to thinking she never gives the game away and hides the thought process veeeeeeeery carefully.

1 comment:

Steven and Kimberly said...

Max loves to make his bed comfy, too. It cracks us up. My husband calls it "making his bed" and he doesn't really care who watches him do it, either. As long as his bed is comfy and poofed up again, he's happy.