Monday, February 2, 2009

Panic Room

Often I know I do not give Raimi the benefit of brains. It’s a failing which occassionally results in me under-estimating his ability to get into trouble. I assume he will not because it’s beyond his capacity to hatch evil plans. However, the hatching of evil plans does not really require the capacity to do so, it just requires his memory plus fortuitous happenstance.

He had escaped from the dog room two days in a row despite my attempts to prevent it in various ways. He has realized of late that he is very strong. Incredibly strong actually. Strong enough to pretty much smash his way out of or into almost anywhere he wants. So far going through a wall has not occurred to him and I hope it never does.

The third day in a row of escape resulted in something of a debacle for Leeloo. Raimi and Leeloo were in separate areas, Raimi managed to force open the door of his completely enclosed expen and in the process made a gap large enough behind the expen for Leeloo to escape through. This should have been the end of the story with some minor damage which I would have gotten over one day.

But life’s not like that. Leeloo figured out that the bag sitting in the kitchen, filled with 40 pounds of dog food and not yet safely contained in the dog proof container, was made of paper. Likely the actual act of opening the bag took no more than a couple minutes and the consumption of what I now believe to be about 9 cups of dog kibble took just a few minutes more. Chances are the reasons she stopped eating were because a) she ran out of water and b) her tummy started to really hurt.

So now I know what she’ll look like when she’s in whelp in a couple years. At first she threw up fully formed kibble but by the 5th vomit it had become partially digested mush She also drank at least 2 or 3 gallons of water. I’ll bet she was thirsty – all that food going through would have sucked the water right out of her body.

Raimi probably ate a bit of the food but no where near the same amount because he’s not really food motivated like Leeloo and Halo. Or it could be he made himself sick eating at least a pound of jujubes off my coffee table and didn’t feel like chasing it with another few pounds of dog food.

This morning, of course, they were eager to eat the 4 kibbles I gave them. Leeloo bounced around looking for more and I told her no damn way til her system had been reasonably purged. This blonde bombshell has been the most challenging, most interesting, and most fun puppy I’ve ever owned. She amazes me with her stablility, brains and personality at every turn. The Boy … well, I think I’m going to have to invest in some sort of vault …like a panic room for dog containment.

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

OMG oh me oh my ROFLOL. Good on yah Leeloo. We got fed twice this morning, first by Norm while Kathryn was in the shower, then by Kathryn 'cause she didn't know we already ate, and I wasn't gonna tell her. Trouble is Norm got out of the shower before I finished my second bowl, so I didn't get to finish it. ...Seth

Unknown said...

I had 3/4 bag of butterscotch chips yesterday, threw up, and made Mom clean it up...Shumba