Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A Little Trip to Heaven

We are back. By the time I get home from drives like that I just want to crawl somewhere warm and slip into a coma. It is almost the middle of February and I drove, in the peak of winter, 1000 miles return Calgary, AB to Butte, MT. The weather was outstanding. The only thing that soured the trip was the brand new chip in my windshield courtesty of the sanded highway and 75 MPH.

As usual the US border was the biggest hold up but it was a breeze once I got to the window. They had opened the back of the previous two vehicles but Ms. Customs Woman stopped Mr Customs Guy from opening my rear door when she realized there were dogs inside. (I have to unlock the doors before they can be opened externally anyway.) She asked a couple questions and within moments I was on the road again.

Sometimes a question comes up on a dog list I’m a member of asking how hard is it to cross the border into the US and a complicated discussion ensues. In the last year I’ve crossed the border 5 times, in my lifetime probably more than 100. We have never had any trouble crossing the border, not even on September 11th, 2001. That day they did search the vehicle and trailer but we went through with no problem at all. I have never been asked for rabies certificates, registrations, or to remove the dogs. This is not to say I don’t travel with the requisite paperwork … but I never volunteer info, only answer the questions asked and never tell them any details unless they are specifically requested.

The trip back was as uneventful as the trip down only the wait to get back into Canada was long because US Customs was having each vehicle drug dog sniffed and searched. That takes time apparently. The dog handler asked what the discs on Leeloo’s ears were(they taped yet again while she takes her damn time about teething) and everyone looked confused while I explained it was to correct her earset. They waved me through and Canada welcomed me home.

So now Halo is home and looks promisingly pregnant but there’s no definite signs as yet. Her behaviour, if she’s not pregnant, I would equate to clinical depression and possibly suicidal. She sat outside the bathroom this morning looking as though the world was crashing in on her. I’ll have to get a photo of her expression, it’s priceless. I can’t recall that she was this moody when she left so I suspect that the hormones are making her experience a pre-partum depression of some kind.

If she’s not pregnant I’ll have to look into some sort of therapy for her.

She is also very itchy. It’s like her whole body is suffering from an allergic reaction to puppies. This will be her final litter, final heat and thank gawd too. Being in heat and having a litter results in a stronger hormonal reaction each time and I just can’t put her through it again. I switched her to Orijen just yesterday and already I think it’s making a difference. Less head shaking, less scratching, and thankfully the bad breath is abating.

Raimi is beside himself with love for his Mommy. He was determined to cuddle … the sleep of extreme content. The couch was very crowded last night. Leeloo was concerned there was no space for her until she realized that my lap was unoccupied. Oh hooray. The cat had to look elsewhere.

The house is getting crowded.

1 comment:

Steven and Kimberly said...

Awww, Raimi, you love your mommy. And yes, your house is getting crowded! You can do it, Halo! Only one more litter to go...