Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Preparing to Fly

Halo flies tomorrow. I think she's on day 5 of being in heat so we are about 5 days away from a potential first breeding. Step one of getting a dog to California is calling the airline. Taking the first step is always the hardest, never truer than when dealing with Air Canada. It's seriously like pulling teeth to talk to some people there. My mom called me to vent today about trying to get a dog from Calgary to Anchorage - when the person who works for an international air carrier doesn't know where Alaska is you start to worry about what will happen to your dog when it's 30K feet in the air.

My experience was less scary but just as odd. I was told that the temperature in the cargo hold would drop about 5 degrees from the outside temperature of the place the plane took off. That so didn't make any sense to me - what if it was -30 outside??? So I called again and got more clarity. Apparently the temperature in the cargo area drops 2 degrees every hour the flight is in the air but never gets below zero. Well, that's satisfactory. I guess.

I have to get to the vet tomorrow morning before the flight to get Halo's health certificate for Customs. Then off to the airport and into the wide blue yon goes the Momma. I have her crate in the van already and will get the balance of ther paperwork ready tomorrow morning. She will be fiiiiine. I just worry about Air Canada screwing something up. Hope they don't send her to Alaska - never mind, they don't know where that is.

Boy has a little growing up to do. Poor boy. No Momma.

No comments: