Saturday, May 31, 2008

Final Destination

It's hard to believe it's been almost two months since I said goodbye to Petal - I had popcorn the other day and remembered how much she liked it. A real popcorn fiend, she'd hover and wait for me to 'accidentally' drop one and then hunt around for it wagging her tail the whole time. I guess she figured the tail wagging made her more endearing and garnered her more popcorn ... as it turned out she was right. She knew as soon as the microwave started making popping noises something good was on it's way.

We have continued with life as we know it now and while I still think of her more than once a day it gets easier and less painful when she pops into my mind. Although when I have to tell people who do not know that she died or explained how it happened I still find it hard to relive the end.

The stupidest things make me tear up and I have to admit that people who knew me years ago would not believe it. It's frighteningly like I'm aging and becoming one of those soppy wedding cryers which I was definitely not in my youth. Anything that even remotely sniffs of sappy and tear jerking has me welling up. It's pathetic. So you can imagine what happened when I got this via email ...













It's Petal's urn. I don't have it yet but I imagine once it gets here I'll end up in the same state again. Her final vessel. It was important to me that the face was right because that how we identify our friends and the tail is corded as well which I made mention was pretty important too. I debated on the angel wings and decided I did want them because I wanted it apparent that it was not just Petal sleeping, it was Petal in whatever your idea of heaven is.


I'm so glad I chose this as her urn and can't wait to have it here - it will seem like it was everyday when I left for work - Petal snoozing and waiting for me to come home. I guess she still is in a way.

2 comments:

Steven and Kimberly said...

That was truly touching. We are so sorry for your loss and the pain you are trying to work past.

Kathryn said...

It's beautiful. A fitting resting place for your constant companion.