Saturday, March 22, 2008

The Big Sleep

Growing up the dogs were allowed everywhere. They were truly a part of the household and this carried into my adulthood but I have tempered it a little with some rules given the size of the dogs.

Petal is always allowed on the bed. She sleeps on my legs or curled against them. If I wake up and she’s not against my legs I move until she is. It’s a comfort thing. My ex boyfriend did not like the idea ofPetal on the bed but it was non-negotiable.




The Ridgebacks are allowed on the bed in certain circumstances such as road trips and sleeping on the hotel bed. Usually this means they are stretched out sideways taking up as much room as possible. If I wake up with 6 inches of bed I’m lucky. Someone once called them icebergs – they slowly and methodically push you across the mattress.

We all start out going to sleep in our own beds. Dogs on the floor and me in mine with Petal at my feet, Ceilidh on the other side of my legs and Mallaig on the pillow. Weekdays when I get up at 7am this is usually how we wake up except one or both of the cats has made their way elsewhere in the house.

Weekend mornings are the exception. They are allowed on the bed from about 6 am onward. Some mornings this means that I had Petal at my feet, Halo curled in a ball, Raimi stretched the length of me and Zero by my pillow with his head draped over my neck. This ensures I get a few more minutes of sleep and they are in a blissful state of happiness when I let them do this.

My dogs never sleep under the covers. I don’t like the idea of dog hair in my bed. I pass no judgement on those who allow it but it’s not something I let them do.


They like sleeping together and will take that in a pinch but sleeping next to me is something they all want to do. Sadly this is not possible given their size!

Whenever I watch a show or hear about someone who was murdered in their bed I think that will never happen to me - you have to get through almost 200 pounds of dog in my room - much less get through the house un-noticed.

No comments: