Monday, May 3, 2010

PS I Love You

Last week I sent Rory a Get Well card to make sure he knew that the world was rooting for him and that we were thinking of him and sending positive energy his way. I employed the assistance of Raimi, Archer, Leeloo and Esme to help me sign the card - I wet some genuine Nova Scotia red dirt, mashed their foot in it and pressed it onto the card. The expressions on their faces ranged from resignation to bewilderment. Then I signed each name next to the paw print of the dog to which it belonged. Rory got the card today and sent me an email and has graciously agreed to my request to repost it here.

Dear MommaTamzin:


There was mail for me today! And I didn't eat it! It was a card from you and Raimi (I remember Raimi) and Leeloo (I kinda remember her too) and Archer and Esme. I love it. With footprints and everything! It smelled like a different place. Like a place with lots of good things to sniff. I like sniffing. I'm feeling pretty good now. My Mom says how she knows I'm back to normal is because she almost trips on me when she gets out of the shower. She wouldn't do that if she didn't try and step on the bathmat. I like to ball it up by the radiator and sleep on it. I also like to go into the bathroom whenever else she's in there. Sometimes she shuts the door and I wait outside instead. But she doesn't unnerstand - there could be like a secret exit way or something and how could I follow her if I don't see her leave?? I played in the yard with her tonight 'cause it's windy and gonna rain real hard so we didn't go for a walk. I don't like the rain so much if I'm outside. Did I tell you I got mail today? I did get mail. It was a card from yo...oh, yah, guess I told you that already. I love that you still love me. I get lunch every day now. I used to only get breakfast and supper. But now I get lunch too. I could get used to that. Mom says I need it, at least for a little while. With extra omega oil. Delicious. Xander and Connor came to visit for the whole day again yesterday. Xander is scared of dogs. But not scared of me. We're friends. I take his toys and he thinks it's funny. Connor is a little baby, he smells pretty good. He lets me lick his face, but Mom tells me not to.

I have to go now in case I miss something. Give slobbery kisses to all my four-legged brothers and sisters and sorta-relatives, and even the cats too. And a special one for you.

Love,
Rory

Well, of course I had to reply because I'm sure it must have taken him some time to manage typing this letter(unless he was dictating to Kathryn which I strongly suspect). Below is my response to his thoughtful words.

Dear My Darling Rory,


I’m so glad you liked the card. I tried to find one with your brown kind of face on it but there was only a limited selection. Added to which, a ‘Rory’ card with obedience instructions on it would be extra hard to find since you and I both know that sometimes instructions are more like guidelines, especially for Ridgebacks. However, I want you to pay close attention to the message on the card … heal? Okay?

All the dogs here were *so* happy to provide their footprint signatures for the card. Really. That is genuine Nova Scotia red dirt and I bet it smells of love because that’s what they all put into it!


I have to tell you that you are not alone in the fear that the bathroom has a secret exit. Raimi, your big brother, and Archer, your little brother, are both obsessed with ensuring that my safety is their top priority when I am in the bathroom. I know this because several times during a shower both will poke their heads around the curtain to make sure I am okay. Maybe you should check on your Mom that way from now on just in case. Also, be sure to check her belly button is still there whenever she gets out of the shower, Raimi does this almost every time and I have to say a cold nose on a belly button is a real surprise. I’m sure your Mom loves surprises.

That said, I am so, so glad you are feeling much better. Three meals a day is the coolest I bet! Make sure you’re extra careful with Small People but since you are a son of Halo I know you will kiss them and steal their toys as nicely as you can. Try not to lick more than faces and hands on children …

Love to you Rory, I can’t tell you enough how happy I am you are such a trooper. I know you were such a good boy for the all vets who were trying so hard to help and that makes things so much better for everyone because it reduces their and your stress and that aids in healing. For now, eat lots, get better and love from all of us.


Momma Tamzin

If you want to check on Rory and see how his recovery is going head on over to his own blog, I know he loves visitors!

No comments: