Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Dark Knight

Chalk up one almost successful trip to the almost quiet dog park and we are back to walking around the block. Needless to say I am so SICK of other people’s bullying anti-social dogs. People seem to view a roaring snarling approach to Raimi as ’just playing’ and I see it as bad etiquette. A dog approached Raimi, scared him, chased him, I called him in, and as he passed me I roared toward the chasing dogs and headed them off. Meanwhile poor Leeloo’s like WTH? (she’s too young to use big swears yet). I told off their owner and we headed home.

My dog is in danger all the time at the park. He is always under threat because of his testicles. Raimi is generally submissive but recently I’ve seen his behaviour and approach to dogs change because he gets challenged by most males he encounters. I realise he is growing up and into an adult intact male Ridgeback which makes me more concerned because one day, if he gets pushed too far, he may use his considerable strength and size and challenge back. It also concerns me that my big sweet boy’s personality is being altered by external circumstances.

Can’t have that.

So, back to the school yard, the walks around the block and the pull pull pull of him wanting more. He’s not the actual problem but he’s the one who has to pay. The bullies get to do whatever they want. I hate that more than anything. I guess I have a choice – I could neuter him right? Oh that’s right … can’t because he’s a show dog and his ‘job’ requires him to have testicles. He has just as much right as any other dog to go to the park; he is well behaved, listens to me, is social, friendly, generally submissive, and non-threatening … but we are segregated.

Since it’s getting so cold and it’s so damn dark it’s not much fun at the park anyway and if it were summer we’d just head to the lower park where there are very few dogs. Right now that area isn’t lit at all so no way I’m going there. Leeloo can only go for short trips because she gets cold and tires fast so the combination of circumstances has us grounded. This weekend we’ll head out for a big romp and hopefully my inner banshee will not be required.

No comments: